Friday, January 15, 2010

Copper Sun Review

My personal reaction to Copper Sun is that it was appropriate for an adolescent to read. Copper Sun was realistic enough for a student to envision what happened to a slave. This novel was also subtle enough to hint at the cruelties slaves endured. I enjoyed the read. It was easy, quick and not difficult to comprehend. I didn't notice the nurturing undertones of Amari's character. Instead I identified her as a detached young woman. She could have been detached or "playing dumb" to protect herself from the horror she had already witnessed; or, she could have been pretending so as to secretly develop strengths (understanding the english language, learning about the land) she would need later. One thing I did learn was that slave children were used for alligator bait. The chapter in which Tidbit was subjected to being alligator bait was the most influential for me. At this point in the novel I became emotionally involved and feared for his life. I think I honestly believed that slave owners would wait until the slaves were a certain age until they tortured them. I didn't expect a slave owner to consciously hurt a child. As I am a history major, I am seriously interested in the Civil Rights movement. However, I cannot say that I am entirely knowledgeable about slave treatment. This book only further increased my interest to further pursue studying the Civil Rights movement. I suppose it does create a further appreciation for MLK day, tomorrow. I wouldn't say this book had a huge impact on me, but it did open my awareness for not taking slavery lightly; this includes anyone (not just blacks) who experienced slavery. I think Copper Sun is a great choice for a teenager to read. I know that if I had read it when I was around 14, I would have thoroughly enjoyed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment