Monday, January 25, 2010

Twilight/Harry Potter/Copper Sun Comparison

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-tPoi0Yvmw

I just really like that video.

All three of these books are great reads. Should they be taught in the classroom? In my opinion Twilight should not be and Harry Potter, and Copper Sun should. I really enjoyed Harry Potter the most out of the three reads. Twilight wasn't intellectual enough. I understand why the media enjoys it; it's very appealing to a huge array of audiences. However, I don't think it will supplement a teen in any educational way. I realize that Harry Potter has no educational value either. But I think that Harry Potter should be allowed simply because it stimulates the imagination. Teens having facebook, twitter, myspace, text messaging, television, magazines, to focus their time on. A student doesn't have to use their imagination with any of these things. Harry Potter allows this. Copper Sun allows this. Copper Sun should definitely be taught in classrooms because it opens up an area of History that students can empathize with. Copper Sun isn't terribly deep but it opens up the reality of the world being harsh to students. I think this is something that they need to expound on before they go to college. Depending on the high school though, they probably have their own experiences. If the students do have experience then they can relate to the way Amari dealt with her circumstances.

No comments:

Post a Comment